Friday, March 16, 2018

That Crazy Keto Thing

 Hi guys! Wow it’s been quite a while since I last updated this silly little blog. Seems to be the trend haha.  Nothing major has changed since my last update, except this crazy diet I’ve been doing for the past month. Okay, it’s not crazy, and it’s not really a diet, it’s more of a lifestyle change... a way of eating. Most people haven’t heard of the Ketogenic diet, but after a few friends told me how awesome it was, I couldn’t resist giving it a try. I’ve never been much into dieting, but I wasn’t very happy with how I looked and felt and decided it was time for something to change. I’ve always been pretty active... I go to the gym a couple times a week, I play hockey at least once a week, and I rarely just lay around unless I’m not feeling good.

 After a lot of research and cleaning out my pantry, I decided to give it a try. I should’ve started blogging this from the very beginning, but I didn’t really think about it until some friends suggested it mainly just to share my recipes on making normal foods keto friendly.  I’ve never really made up a recipe on my own, but I take recipes I find on the internet and tweak them until I’m happy with the outcome.  This also isn’t going to be just about food. Well, I’m definitely going to be talking about food a lot, but also my journey through this lifestyle change, and sticking to my old blogging style roots... talking about adventures, projects, and anything I feel like writing about! :)

 So about this keto thing.  I’m not gonna tell you everything about it, there’s Google for that, but it is a high fat, moderate protein, low-carb diet. You also can’t eat sugar, or very minimal sugar. And it works. I started on Feb 7th and as of now I have lost 16 lbs. Not only have I lost a little weight so far, but I also feel a lot better overall. I have more energy, I’m sleeping better, and I just feel healthier in general.  Cutting out carbs and sugar hasn’t really been that hard for me, thankfully. Most things that I was eating before, I can eat now but just with a little switch up of ingredients. Instead of normal flour, I use almond or coconut flour. Instead of sugar, I use natural sweeteners like stevia, monkfruit, or erythritol.  There’s a recipe called ‘fathead dough’ that has been my saving grace for my love of bread. You can make pizza crust with it, breadsticks, sandwich bread, biscuits, the possibilities are endless. I’ll share that recipe in a later post. 

I’m also going to Oahu for a week in a few days! It was kind of a last minute, spur of the moment trip to clear my head and relax before the crazy summer tourist season starts.  I’m going to spend A LOT of time surfing.  I took a surf lesson last year when I went to Maui, and it was so fun and exhilarating! I really want to try surfing here in Alaska but I know I need to practice a little more in warmer waters before I tackle these crazy cold Juneau waters (with a wetsuit of course). 

Anyways, happy Friday folks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment