Wednesday, April 10, 2013

False Outer Point

Took a drive out to False Outer Point, which is on Douglas Island, and guess what... we saw WHALES! It's our first whale sighting since we moved to AK. My level of excitement could barely be contained. Wow, those beautiful creatures are so amazing to see in person. I can't wait till this summer when my whale watching tour job starts. These whales we saw today were humpbacks, which are the most common around these parts. Orcas frequent these waters too, but they're not quite as common as humpbacks... so I've been told anyways. My whale knowledge will greatly increase as the weeks go on.

The tide was still pretty low but it was coming in, so we got a little bit of tidepooling in as well. We saw sea urchins, sea anemone, and tons of other cool sea life and plants. It's amazing how much life is contained in one shallow tidepool. Birds, ducks, eagles, and seals were around us as we walked the shore. I can't express in words how peaceful and relaxing it is to just take in all the sights and sounds of the wildlife that surrounded us. God I love AK.



No comments:

Post a Comment