Saturday, April 20, 2013

Sunsets and Humpbacks


Yesterday we drove out to North Douglas to catch the sunset, and it was a beautiful one! We pulled in at False Outer Point, which is my favorite spot on North Douglas, and walked down to the beach to get some photos. The tide was coming in and the waves were pounding the beach, which made for such a relaxing sound as we watched the sun disappear behind the gorgeous Chilkat mountain range. 

After the sun was gone, we were on our way back home and as we were driving by the North Douglas Boat Launch, a humpback broke the water's surface just a few feet from the shore! Of course we immediately pulled over at watched this beautiful creature swimming around in Fritz Cove. It amazes me how close to shore they will get. I tried to get some photos but the only thing that ever broke the surface was it's back, and turns out Dustin got better photos of the whale than I did. That whale must have just been in a mellow mood. I have yet to see one breaching, but when I do, I know I'll be in awe of those creatures once again. I know I'll see hundreds of whales over the course of the summer, and get plenty of photos to share with you guys! 

Here are some of the better photos from last night.
















No comments:

Post a Comment