Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Slushy Aurora Whales :)


Lots to talk about since my last post! 

The Slush Cup was an awesome event. After a leaky pond on Saturday, the event was postponed till Sunday so the pond could be repaired. I think it worked out for the better since all that muddy water drained out and they refilled the pond with pretty green/blue mountain lake water. There were lots of competitors, but only a handful made it across the massive 130 ft water pit. Dustin and I worked the 'Big Rippers Grill' with Tessa and Tommy and sold a shit ton of burgers, brats, and dogs. 

What gorgeous weather for the last day of the season!

Lots of spectators showed up to witness the soak-fest.
Is that a front flipping bunny? Yes, it is.
 
This guy SENT it!


We also FINALLY got to see the amazing, magical Aurora Borealis Saturday night/early Sunday morning. Words just cannot come close to describing how awesome it really was. I always thought the videos you see with the lights dancing around was super time-lapsed... which most of them are, but the best part is that they really DO dance around, just not quite as fast as they appear in the videos. It's a truly magical experience and I can't wait to see it again. This planet is one special rock in the universe. I tried to take some photos, but the aurora is super hard to capture on a point and shoot. Below are a few photos that others took from the same aurora event, but it's exactly what we saw with our very own eyes! 

Photo: Ron Gile
Photo: Frank Pierce

Photo: Frank Pierce





I also started training at Allen Marine a few days ago. I'll be mainly working full-time as passenger service and a back-up deckhand, but if a full-time deckhand position comes up then it's mine. I'm currently in deckhand training and have been learning all sorts of stuff about diesel engines, since part of the job is fixing stuff that breaks while underway. Just to be clear, I know absolutely nothing about diesel engines... three days ago. The training is pretty intensive, and honestly things seem a bit easier to remember than I expected. So far, if an alternator belt breaks or a fuel filter needs changing, this girl can fix it! I'm sure I'll learn a ton more over the next couple weeks and I can't wait. I want to learn everything I possibly can about how those boats work. I feel like I'll be pretty mechanically inclined after this summer :) What I'm even more stoked about is seeing whales and other Alaskan wildlife on a daily basis. How lucky am I?! What I feel like is a 'good omen' of sorts, is the whale I saw in Auke Bay before I went to my first day of training on Monday. Whales are such massive, majestic creatures! I wish I had a photo but all I had was my iPhone and it was too far away to really get a decent shot. Note to self: glue my camera to my side!

One of these boats will be my office this summer :)

Also, Dustin got a job with Eaglecrest working full-time over the summer on the mountain ops crew. He's super stoked about being on the mountain pretty much year round. This is an awesome opportunity to get more involved with Eaglecrest and I'm very proud of him :) Looks like he'll be getting a three day weekend all summer... I'll have to admit I'm a bit jealous!
Dustin also snapped this photo of our mountain view from the front of the house...
*******************************

Lastly, I want to say how heartbroken I am to hear the news of a good friend's passing today. If you spent any amount of time at Beech Mountain Resort, you knew the friendly face of Scott Dodson. He was a truly good man and was the foundation of that mountain. Dustin and I both have had so many good times over the years with him. Many of the memories I have that involve Beech also include Scott. If you needed help with anything, he was always there with a lending hand. He loved that mountain so much, and it showed. I can remember countless times where I've laughed so hard it hurt, all because of Scott. May he be eternally happy now, without pain or suffering, looking down upon his family, the mountain, and people he loved so much. Beech Mountain Resort will never be the same without him. Rest in peace, Scotty.


No comments:

Post a Comment