Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pre-Season Shred!

Today was a BLAST! We woke up early, packed some lunch, scraped our freshly waxed boards, and hit the road to Eaglecrest, which is only about a 15 minute drive from our apartment. We figured it would take us a good hour to hike to the top. Afterall, it is over a 1,500 ft elevation gain with 20lbs of backpack and board on our backs. After several rest breaks (big smack in the face to how out of shape we are haha) we finally made it to the top of the Ptarmigan lift in a little over an hour. 

We ate our lunch in the warming hut at the top, then set out to explore the terrain. Lets just say, I will be in complete heaven when that mountain gets some more snow. It really wasn't deep enough to go bombing down the mountain. It was only about 6-8 inches with some deeper drifts here and there, but it was enough to have some fun thanks to our backcountry shovel! Dustin packed snow onto a piece of wood in front of the chairlift to make a box to slide. I shoveled a little booter, but the snow was too fluffy and as soon as I hit it, it just exploded. Everything was still so much fun though! We played around at the top for about an hour then decided to head back down the mountain since the sun was going down. 

We rode down the service road a.k.a trail to the top. There was enough snow packed down on the road that we rode a pretty good ways before it got too rocky. I didn't think to bring my rock board so I had to be super careful and not put any new gashes in my base. Thank god for chairlifts, because if I had to hike that every day with my board(which I totally would if it came down to that!) I would either be in pain or in really good shape! haha.

Warning: LOTS of photos! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment