Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Downtown Fire

Yesterday evening, the Gastineau Apartment building in downtown Juneau caught on fire and many people lost everything they owned. Fortunately, there were no human fatalities, just a few people treated for smoke inhalation and minor injuries. But unfortunately, one kitty was lost and supposedly there is a dog still unaccounted for. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. For most people, losing a pet is like losing a family member. If anything happened to Winter, I would be devastated. My heart goes out to all those that were affected by this fire.  

photo credit: Michael Penn / Juneau Empire
photo credit: Michael Penn / Juneau Empire

To get the full details on the story, check out the Juneau Empire website.


What I'm thankful for today, are the firefighters out there who put their own lives on the line to save others who are in danger. Without these people, so many lives would be lost and buildings destroyed. I am extremely fortunate to have never had to deal with any loss to a fire, but I know many who have lost everything. In most cases, firefighters are either volunteer or extremely underpaid. I am so thankful to know that people are out there that would risk everything to save someone. To all the firefighters out there, I thank you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment