Thursday, November 22, 2012

Gobble Gobble

Happy Thanksgiving!

We have a lot to be thankful for today. And a lot to think about. 
I'm so thankful for the experiences I've had, the lifelong friends I've made, the wonderful family that stands behind me in everything I do, and a wonderful man in my life that shares the same passions as I do. If I had to list everything I'm thankful for, I would be writing for the rest of my life. 

I'm thankful to be eating an almost entirely organic Thanksgiving dinner today... everything is organic except for the turkey... no way I will pay $80+ on a 10lb organic turkey. That's a bit ridiculous in my opinion. At least I found an 'all natural, no hormones, yada yada yada' but like that really means anything according to the FDA 'natural' labeling standards. At least the majority of my meal will be anti-Monsanto! Probably should've just said no to turkey all together, but no turkey on Thanksgiving? That's just wrong. Also, I'm thankful for being able to even HAVE turkey on a plate today... I know unfortunately a lot of people are going hungry today. Be thankful for what you have EVERYDAY because you never know when it could all be gone. 

We also need to remember our history. Not long ago, the natives roamed this land, living off of nature and truly appreciating all this earth has to offer. Of course there were wars and fighting among tribes, but the majority of Native Americans were peaceful souls. Then we came along and ruined it all for them. Although I am thankful for the life I have today, I am also saddened by how it had to occur. It hurts my heart to imagine what these people had to go through. The unknown 'white man' appearing out of nowhere, claiming peace, and then taking everything, slaughtering, and spreading disease that eventually took out so many beautiful people. 

Many people choose to ignore this dark side of Thanksgiving, but I think to TRULY be thankful, we need to realize that this is the reason we are even here today, eating turkey, pumpkin pie, drinking beer, and watching football with our families.



No comments:

Post a Comment