Friday, November 23, 2012

A Tasty Turkey and Moonlit Mountains

I meant to post the Thanksgiving photos last night, but since I was in a turkey coma that didn't happen. Dustin was in charge of the turkey, and I cooked everything else. I was definitely impressed by how good and juicy the turkey turned out. It was one of the best Thanksgiving turkeys I've ever had! 

Besides the bird, I cooked sweet potato mash, green bean casserole, bread stuffing, spaghetti squash, turkey gravy, and a homemade pumpkin pie for dessert (I even made the pie crust from scratch!). Oh my goodness what a tasty meal! Since it was just the two of us eating this huge meal, we now have leftovers that will last us a month. Winter is helping out with the turkey though :)

After a good meal and a glass of wine (or several), we were out. O.U.T. We both fell asleep and napped pretty much the rest of the evening. It sucks we couldn't spend the day with our families, but it was relaxing to just to cook, eat, then not worry about a single thing for the rest of the day.


Dustin injecting a spicy marinade he created.


After several injections and a spicy rub down.


Fresh out of the oven! 


Dustin carving the bird.



My sweet potato mash in the making, and spaghetti squash about to go in the oven.


Winter was gazing out the window but of course turned her head 
as soon as I tried to take a photo. (Oh yeah, it was snowing all day!)


But she couldn't escape my cuddle attack!


The wind was howling something fierce outside. Dustin snapped this
photo of the rough waters in the channel. 




 Today, I had planned to be productive and do something outside since we spent yesterday stuffing our faces, but that didn't happen. We were both super lazy this morning and just decided to sleep in. We took advantage of some of the Black Friday sales at Sequence. No way in hell was I getting in the chaotic crowd of crazies for the early sales at other places. There was nothing I needed THAT bad! I ended up getting some new Burton mitts, a Neff beanie and a Coal beanie. Dustin got a Grenade beanie with hopes of finding a backpack as well, but he didn't find one that he really liked. 

We heard the aurora was supposed to be highly active tonight but it was too overcast to see anything. Also, it was completely the wrong time to be looking for the lights. I've heard the wee hours of the morning is the best time. I keep looking out the window every hour hoping to see stars, but no luck. If the clouds do clear, you better believe that I'll be hopping in the car and driving somewhere away from the lights. Seeing the aurora borealis has been one of my dreams for as long as I can remember. 
It will happen.
It WILL!
Soon... very soon.

On our way home, we pulled over so I could play with the night settings on my camera. The lights in the photos are kinda blurry, but the wind was howling and it was shaking the tripod slightly. I wasn't going to post these two photos but the mountains illuminated by the slight moonlight is just too pretty to keep to myself.


Looking at downtown Juneau from Douglas Island


Looking at downtown Juneau from Douglas Island. 
This one was actually taken in the parking lot of our apartment building.

No comments:

Post a Comment