Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Adventure


^ This is one of my favorite quotes of all time. 

I'm truly a mountain girl, and you will never see me living anywhere else. I don't know what it is about the mountains. It's like they've called to me for as long as I can remember. Where I grew up (Rogersville, TN), we didn't have big mountains, just rolling hills and a couple small mountains. Big mountains was only a few hours away though. I was always in the woods playing or hiking or exploring somewhere outdoors. I guess you could say I was a bit tomboyish growing up, but look what that's given me! I wouldn't change a thing about my past. Not one single second. 

Once I had a car and a license, I would drive the two hours to Beech Mountain Resort (known then as Ski Beech) to get my snow fix. Although my first few times on a snowboard was my grandparent's back yard, I consider Beech my home mountain and always will. Back then, little did I know what a huge role Beech would play in my life. If someone would've told me that in a few years I would've put 5 years in teaching snowboarding at Beech, meeting my amazing boyfriend, and deciding to move off to Alaska to pursue my love for snow even more, I would've told them they had lost their mind!

Something that's funny is that most people isn't even aware that ski resorts exist in the south. Here in AK, when I tell people where I'm from, I usually get odd reactions. 
"Does it even snow there?" 
"You mean you can ski in the south?" 
"What? North Carolina and Tennessee have ski resorts?" 

It's pretty funny honestly. Even though it's the 'dirty south', I'm thankful to have fresh, clean snow occasionally falling from the sky and a few resorts to enjoy it at. Although all the resorts in the south rely almost entirely on snowmaking, it seems weird to me to see a resort that relies nearly entirely on natural snow, like here at Eaglecrest. With less than a handful of snow guns that make snow at the base, the rest of the mountain is dependent on mother nature. Last year she treated Eaglecrest nice, and hopefully she will this season too! Last time I hiked to the top, which was last weekend, it was waist deep. WAIST DEEP! I've never experienced that in my life, and how nice it felt :) 

With Thanksgiving being tomorrow, I guess I've been thinking a bit more about what I'm thankful for. I know I was posting something I was thankful for every day for a while and kinda slacked off on that.

And now that you've suffered through a few minutes of my rambling, I will not take up any more of your time. 

Check back later though! Dustin and I are about to head out on a hike, so that means pictures to follow!

Happy Pre-Thanksgiving Everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment